August 31, 2020 - The Last Day of the Month...Again

Since COVID-19 started I have had this weird feeling on the last day of each month that, "Next month is going to our month!" I have now thought that six times. I keep thinking that COVID-19 is going to end and things will go back to normal. I know that there is no going back to normal and that we are all going to adapt to a brand new normal.

I relate this to the Great Flood of 1993. After my town experienced that tragedy we began to relate time to "before the flood" and "after the flood." It still happens 27 years later. Anyone who was present during that time knows exactly what I am talking about. Anyone who was present also knows that it changed us. Things were never the same and a new normal took it's place.

It happened on a larger scale with 9-11. The nation began to refer to time in terms of "before 9-11" and "after 9-11." There was definitely a new normal after that day. There are some 10 year sociological and psychological that proves it. You can also see it at any airport in the United States.

I see that happening with COVID-19. I already say "before COVID" and "I can do that after COVID." What I am not ready for is the new normal. I do not want this to be the new normal. I am actually scared of it. 

Today I noticed that people are actually fighting over who's murder is more important. Statements like, "Well, you didn't act like that when so-and-so was shot." Isn't a murder just that? A murder? No murder should be justified. I am also disturbed that I didn't think of it like this earlier.

The other thing that stood out to me today was the ease at which people criticize others. I was watching a lady give a live news report on Facebook and the comments like, "Yawn," and "Nobody cares," was littered throughout the entire post. Why? What is the point of that? We are so desensitized that people don't even consider that the person reporting is a real, feeling, human being. 

COVID-19 is a part of every, single, solitary therapy session I conduct. People are genuinely struggling to get by. Not only mentally, but physically, and financially. The comments and arguing are only pushing this group of people closer to the edge. My therapist friends and peers are screaming out for people to stop. We are overworked and our caseloads are larger than ever. We are trying to manage our own mental health during this as well. Speaking for myself I have a caseload of 23 and all of them are impacted by COVID-19. 

I guess this is more of a plea to stop. For my patients, for myself, and my loved ones. Just stop. I want to start saying, "Things are going to be even better after COVID-19. We are changing for the better." If you think it is impossible, look at how you can contribute to making that statement true. I am making changes every single day. I am a fluid, ever-changing, flawed human being, but I am trying.


Comments

Popular Posts